South London Orienteers welcomes new members of whatever standard, from absolute beginners and children to experienced orienteers. You can join South London Orienteers, either on-line or by post, through the national body British Orienteering: JOIN HERE (and remember to select SLOW as the club you wish to join!)
Who are SLOW?
South London Orienteers (abbreviated as “SLOW”) are an orienteering and running club based mainly in south London. Our members are based all over the south London area, with a particular concentration in the Kingston/Wimbledon/Richmond areas. We also have quite a few members in north London, and also in Surrey, as far out as Dorking and Guildford. SLOW currently has around 250 members, ranging from complete novices to international level orienteers.
What do we do?
The club organises a large number of events throughout the year, including orienteering races, training days, evening street events, and cross-country type fell races. Additionally, there are a large number of orienteering events staged all over South-East England that are organised by other clubs, which SLOW members regularly compete at. Details of upcoming SLOW events, and links to events organised by other clubs, can be found on the events page. Results of past SLOW events can be found on the results page.
SLOW is a very social club, and organises a regular program of social events:
- Club members usually meet up in a nearby pub after most events. Some of these are arranged in advance, and detailed on the latest Hot Picks page – a list of the suggested best events for club members to attend.
- During the winter there is a program of monthly street orienteering events and social evenings held all over south-west London, usually on the second Tuesday of each month from September to April/May. Details of the current or most recent series can be found here. There is also a smaller series of “terrain” night orienteering events.
- In the summer months, between May and August, there is a series of regular evening training and social events – the Park Race and Trail Challenge series.
- £10 off a club race top (only applies when joining SLOW for the first time).
- Discounts off entry fees – these would have saved you up to ~£80 in 2012:
- £2 off entry fees to SLOW O-events* over £5.
- £1 off entry fees to SLOW Park Race and Street-O events (min £1 payable).
- Free entry into the UK League relays, CompassSportCup and Harvester
- £5 off entry into other relay events
- Eligibility to compete in British Orienteering races in all regions of the UK, including the British Championships
- Membership of British Orienteering, for which you will receive their Focus magazine regularly
- Entry into the national orienteering ranking list (if over 18)
- Membership of the South East Orienteering Association
- Participation in SLOW social events
- Participation in free SLOW club night coaching sessions
- Receive paper copies of the occasional club newsletter SLOWprint
- Join the SLOW e-mail distribution list to receive details of forthcoming events
- Join the SLOW Members Facebook group
- Use (on request) of the SLOW YHA group membership card
- Right to purchase the SLOW club orienteering kit
* Events registered with British Orienteering.
Affliate membership is available to people who are already members of British Orienteering and another UK orienteering club, but wish to join SLOW as an additional club, or are ineligible to join British Orienteering, These members receive the SLOW-specific elements of the membership except the kit discount.
Fees for 2014
Adult, junior and student membership fees include membership of British Orienteering and SEOA, as well as SLOW.
|Adults (born 1992 or earlier)||Juniors (born 1993 or later)||Full-time students||Affiliates||Groups|
|Join Now||Join Now||Join Now|
** Group membership is available for bona fide school groups, scouts, guides etc. Affiliate membership is available to all such groups for free. If any Groups would like to join SLOW as a full (British Orienteering) member, please contact for further information.
If you wish to join SLOW as an adult, junior or student member, you can do so either on-line or by post through the national body, British Orienteering: JOIN HERE (and remember to select SLOW as the club you wish to join!)
If you want to join SLOW as an affiliate member or group, or for any help on completing the registration process, or if you require any further information, please contact the club membership secretary at who will be able to help you.
Top photo courtesy of Peter Huzan.