SLOW travelled up to Fineshade Woods in Northamptonshire on Sunday, to take part in this year’s CompassSport Cup Final, the UK’s main orienteering inter-club competition, having qualified in the regional heats earlier this year.
The club scored 1607 points, finishing a solid 6th behind South Yorkshire, who retain the cup from last year, and Octavian Drooblers (Warwickshire), Bristol, Southdowns and Harlequins (Birmingham). SLOW beat Nottingham, West Cumberland, Southern Navigators, Lagan Valley and Airienteers. Full results here.
The qualifiers for next year’s competition take place on Sunday January 24th.
The following people were the 25 counters towards this year’s total, a maximum of six from any course being allowed:
Simon Evans, Vince Roper and Chris Wroe also ran for SLOW, on the brown course.
Recent CompassSport Cup Final SLOW Placings
- 2009: 6th (1607 points) – SYO won with 2260 points. Venue: Fineshade Woods.
- 2008: 3rd (2004 points) – SYO won with 2214 points. Venue: Sutton Park.
- 2007: 6th (1892 points) – OD won with 2197 points. Venue: Blidworth & Sansom Woods.
- 2006: 7th (1774 points) – OD won with 2157 points. Venue: Greenham Common.
- 2005: 5th (1992 points) – OD won with 2082 points. Venue: Clowbridge.
- 2004: SLOW did not qualify.
SLOW last won in 1996. Full table of historical winners and venues.